What’s New in Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard
Designed and priced for small businesses with up to 75 users, Windows® Small Business Server 2011 Standard is an ideal first server solution that includes features that small businesses need to be productive and competitive. Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard delivers enterprise-class server technology in an affordable, high-performance, all-in-one solution. It is also perfect for small businesses that prefer to host email and collaboration tools directly on the premises.
Why Small Business Server is More Efficient & Easier to Manage:
- Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard also delivers a variety of new and updated features that can help make it easier for small businesses to back-up their data, collaborate, and share information.
10 Reasons to Upgrade:
- Get a Easy to Use, All-in-One Solution: The solution suite includes Windows Server® 2008 R2 technologies, Microsoft® Exchange Server 2010 SP1, Microsoft SharePoint® Foundation 2010, and Windows Software Update Services. Also, Premium Add-on includes Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 for Small Business.
- Simplify IT Management: Manage common IT tasks and address technology issues before they occur with a unified view of the health and security of your computers and servers in the network from one administrative console.
Automatic management of your organizations Internet domain name
- Windows SBS 2011 Standard includes an easy to use Internet Address Management Wizard that helps you establish a presence for your small business on the Internet. The wizard also enables important features of your server, such as company email and Remote Web Access. If you do not have a domain name, the wizard makes it easy to find and research a variety of domain name providers who have partnered with Windows SBS 2011 Standard to offer their services. If you already own a domain name, the wizard can configure that name for you.
- When you run the Set up your Internet address task in the Windows SBS 2011 Console, you can choose to have the server manage your domain name automatically. When you select this option, the server monitors and maintains the status of your domain, and it alerts you if there is a problem.
- Run Line of Business Applications: Get access to the large Windows Server 2008 R2 ecosystem of applications as the SBS 2011 Standard is built on Windows Server 2008 R2 code base.
- Stay Connected to the Business: Provide your users the freedom to securely access all of their communications—e-mail, voice mail, instant messaging, and more—from virtually any platform, Web-browser, or device to get more done wherever they are with the integrated Exchange Server 2010 and Microsoft Outlook® Web Access (OWA) capabilities.
Remote Web Access
- Remote Web Access is the secure website entrance for local and remote access to the resources that are stored on the Windows SBS 2011 Standard network. You can access Remote Web Access with an Internet-enabled computer from within the office or from any remote location. Remote Web Access replaces the Remote Web Workplace feature that was introduced in Windows SBS 2003.
- Access Business Information from Virtually Anywhere, Anytime: Get direct, secure access to your files, calendars, tasks, and contacts through any common browser, from virtually anywhere.
- Built-in document collaboration: SBS 2011 Standard features Microsoft SharePoint® Foundation Services 2010 – the newest version of Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services. It powers exciting new features and capabilities that help you collaborate securely online—no matter where you are.
- Simplify IT Management Reduce the cost of deploying and maintaining your network with streamlined setup and deployment for both the server and clients.
- Easy Migration: Easily migrate to the new platform with enhanced migration tools, extensive pre-migration checks, and prescriptive guidance. We understand that upgrading an existing server can be a daunting task. Because of this, Microsoft made significant investments to improve the server migration experience:
- The Migration Preparation Tool is integrated in the Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard setup process
- Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard Setup checks to determine if you have prepared the source server for migration. If you have not, Setup prompts you to run the Migration Preparation Tool on the source server.
- Simplified Back-up for Business Data: Help protect your vital business information from loss with automatic backups and recover accidentally deleted files in the event of disaster. With easy-to-use interfaces and backup capabilities, you or your IT consultant can gain better control of your data, PCs, and network.
- Keep your Network Healthy and Up-to-Date: Help ensure the health of your network and keep your PCs and servers current with easy-to-read “green check” reports that give you a quick view of PC and server status, antivirus status, Microsoft software updates, and backup progress
If you’re interested in upgraded or adding a server, Orange County can provide you a free comprehensive evaluation that will keep your company running affordably and efficiently.
For more information, Contact us at: 949-699-6619
Written by deborah
Deborah is the Operations Director at Orange County Computer and has been with the company since 2004.